Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Bed Rest - What it is!

What bed rest isn't


A dream come true - even though I'm 'only' laying down, I'm fighting for the life of my baby.


Relaxing - I live in a very real fear that my waters will break any minute, as they did before at 20 weeks and 34 weeks.


Better than being at work/out in the heat/cold/wind/traffic/shops – It’s not better, I'm a human being that’s terrified of moving.


Doing the best thing - I'm risking blood clots, diabetes, loss of bone mass,  loss of muscle and fitness all the while knowing that this doesn’t guarantee success. NASA has done research on bed rest to study the effects of anti gravity on the body in space. Results suggest a number of negative effects on the body. Don’t even ask me about the constipation!


Comfortable – your hips hurt from laying on them and not moving, you sweat under your boobs, you have a constant double chin....lots of food gets caught in it.


Encouraging - it makes you feel sick and helpless like something is TRULY wrong


Just another sacrifice – most people give up wine and soft cheese. I’m giving up being upright.

A chance to catch up on sleep -  sleep isn't a coupon I can cash in in 5 months time when I have been up all night with a new born. It really only effects tomorrow, but the stress and anxiety and loss of physical conditioning negates any rest anyway.





What it is


Happening to me - what anyone says about it isn’t going to change how I feel  counting the seconds of the day, willing the day to pass so you are one day closer to a healthier baby.


The biggest thing that has happened to me – it strange how other life changing events are treated like deaths and relationship break downs? This is huge and scary too!


Something I researched - I probably as much about it as anyone else, I've research, asked dozens of doctors, questioned, gotten answers. I know the risks and outcomes  and I’m not sitting here worrying about nothing.


The only thing we can think off -  when your on bed rest, your out of options.


Terrifying – this equates to being told not to move or my baby will die


Frustrating – it feels passive, like I’m not doing enough. On the other hand, I’m hungry and thirsty and bored and have to wait for everything to be given to me.


Battery hen – don’t they also sit under artificial lights breeding too?


Debilitating – I’m not allow to do most things by myself.


Embarrassing -  I have to ask for everything - food, water, entertainment.


Exhausting – I’m not pumping any blood around my body, I feel sluggish and tired.


Hungry - I am still growing a baby. I ate every 2 hours and my tummy grumbles if I don’t.


Ugly - I seriously have the worst bed hair ever!


No guarantee - statistically there is no greater chance of a 'successful' outcome.


A compromise – saving one baby means I losing the other. I struggle do anything for my hard fought for toddler. I barely feed her and entertain her. All her other needs are met my someone, anyone else.

PDF of bedrest:
BEDREST - EVERYTHING YOU'LL NEED TO KNOW!
http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/56985230?access_key=key-wdnzkzcayzeiune08nv

No comments:

Post a Comment